Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fajita Coast


10110 Colesville Rd. Silver Spring, MD 20901

Rob and I love Fajita Coast. We went soon after it opened in 2005, but started going regularly sometime in late 2006ish. It’s the best Tex-Mex we have had, and it has ruined many of the other chains we used to enjoy. Although Fajita Coast isn’t technically a chain, it is affiliated with Cactus Cantina in Glover Park and the vaunted Lauriol Plaza in Dupont Circle (both of which I’ve been to…I think he has too). For a while, we were going at least once a week. I think we’ve scaled back to once or twice a month.

Our past 2 visits have been with friends – once for a Saturday lunch and just this past Friday night for dinner. Although we ordered the same thing both times (carne asada alla parilla for Rob, chicken/beef combo fajitas for me), our experiences were markedly different. The main difference was KIDS. There were children EVERYWHERE on Friday night, running around and screaming and carrying on. The dining room is pretty large and open, like a cafeteria, so there are plenty of open spaces for kids to run around and chase each other. I don’t understand why so many parents in the DC area take their kids out for Mexican on the weekends – Austin Grill and Rio Grande in Bethesda are always slammed with families on Fridays as well.

Anyway, I could write for hours about our experiences at Fajita Coast. Their salsa is great – chunky but not too much so. They serve delicious red rice and beans frijoles a la charra with most dishes. I would prefer to get the awesome Juanita Platter with a cheese enchilada, beef taco, and chicken tamale every time we go. Sadly I know I shouldn’t eat all that cheese so I usually skip the delicious smothered dishes and get chicken tacos without cheese or fajitas in the interest of eating a bit healthier. I’ve also had the zarzuela de mariscos (a seafood stew of sorts) which was really good.

Our service was a little slow on Friday night, but the dining room was packed so it was to be expected. Splitting a pitcher of swirl margaritas made the wait more bearable. We also ordered a bowl of chili con queso to start and Andy commented that “[the wait] wasn’t so bad with queso in your face-o.” He fancies himself a queso dip connoisseur and was happy with the consistency and smooth taste of the queso. As our meal was winding down, most of the families had left and the rest of dinner was quite pleasant. I guess in the future if we’re going to go on a Friday night we’ll make it an 8:00 dinner instead of going right after work.

No comments: