Monday, February 25, 2008

Lazy Sunday

We were both kind of busy this week, so we didn’t get a chance to go try a new place. Yesterday, however, we did check out the new Wendy’s that opened by Wheaton Plaza, and then ordered Brother Chinese for dinner.

Wendy’s was…well, Wendy’s. Rob’s roommates go there sometimes twice a day and they’ve said that it’s the best drive thru in town. But then again when your main competition is the Taco Bell on University, you don’t have to do much to be the best. We both got chicken sandwich combos with chili instead of fries. Quite surprisingly, we got in and out of there pretty easily – Rob managed to make the light at Viers Mill and the light turning into Wheaton Plaza, and there’s a little entrance driveway right there. Traffic in that area can be pretty bad; I think we just got lucky.

We decided we wanted to get something delivered for dinner, and I had been looking at food pictures on someone’s Flickr stream – she had a lot of pictures of Asian dumplings which got me in the mood for Chinese. We had ordered carry out from Brother on Amherst once before, so we decided to try them again. I was a little nervous because we were had a pretty big order (his roommates ordered with us) and we didn’t have a menu on hand so we just kept our fingers crossed that they’d have what we wanted. I also paid with my credit card which can sometimes be a hassle. Calling in the order seemed a little too easy, so I was curious to see if they got everything right, and for the most part they did. Good job, Brother.

Brother is a pretty standard cheap Chinese place. I got an order of dumplings which were tasty but a little doughier than I would have liked. Sean said the General Tso’s Chicken was “Tso-Tso” and then repeated it like 3 times in case anyone didn’t hear his joke. Rob got Szechuan chicken, extra spicy, which he liked. I got my usual steamed chicken and veggies with brown sauce on the side, which is nearly impossible to mess up, and Andy got combination fried rice. He couldn’t tell what kind of meat was in the rice, but he thinks it was only pork. I'm pretty sure Brother also has subs and wings on their menu, but we didn't get one with our order, so I didn't get a chance to check.

While the ordering at Brother’s was painless and the delivery time was fast (just about 30 minutes), I wasn’t very impressed by the food. I think we’ll keep trying to find a better Chinese delivery place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband and I have ordered from Brother several times. We also frequent the beer store near by so the two are a regular stop. Some of their items are great and others are less than. I agree with the "tso-tso" comment and lol'd when I read it. If they were to remove the skin from the chicken before cooking it would make a great difference.